Bloody Elbow fight experts, Zane Simon & Eddie Mercado, are here tonight – Saturday, June 19th., 2021, to breakdown the UFC VEGAS 29: ‘Korean Zombie vs. Dan Ige’ event, which was broadcast from the cozy confines of the APEX Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The guys will have hot takes, possible next fights, as well as reactions to the overall event. (SPOILERS…)
Returning to the down-sized APEX octagon for the main event, we had a Featherweight tilt between the #4 ranked, Chan Sung Jung, aka: ‘The Korean Zombie’, with an impressive 16-6 record, three of those more recent bouts were first round finishes, including Frankie Edgar, Renato Moicano and Dennis Bermudez; and his opponent tonight being the #8 ranked, Dan ‘50K’ Ige; who was coming off a first round victory over Gavin Tucker back in March of this year via a sweet Right Cross just 22 seconds into the round.
The Zombie, the obvious favorite, won the fight tonight via unanimous decision, outgrappling Ige throughout the five-round main event fight. Post-fight he was awarded his black belt and was noticeably and understandably more excited about this achievement than defeating the likes of Dan Ige. It’s time for TKZ to get a title shot.
In the co-main event, we had a Heavyweight contest featuring the underdog, Sergey ‘Polar Bear’ Spivak, who was coming at this bout on a two-fight win streak against Jared Vanderaa and Carlos Felipe since last July, 2020. His opponent in this bout was #15 ranked Aleksei ‘The Boa Constrictor’ Oleinik; the Russian brawler had an impressive 59-15 career record, but was coming into the octagon tonight off of two losses to Chris Daukaus and Derrick Lewis since last August, 2020. He is the only fighter to win a UFC fight via Ezekiel choke, doing so twice; also holding the record for most Ezekiel choke wins in MMA competition, with fourteen.
Regardless Okeinik’s abundancy of career wins, he lost unanimously when the bout went to decision tonight. In the end, he was not favored on the judges scorecards, Spivak took the ‘W’ tonight.
Also on the card, Marlon ‘Chito’ Vera made an epic effort with a thrilling win after a legendary scrap with ‘Dangerous’ Davey Grant, putting an abrupt end to his three-fight win streak. We also had a Welterweight clash when Matt ‘The Immortal’ Brown went up against Dhiego Lima, in a tilt that ended when Brown devastated Lima with a Right Cross in the second round.
Prior to that, in our opening prelim bout we had Women’s Flyweight Casey O’Neill upset Lara Procópio with a Standing Rear Naked Choke, putting her to sleep right at the end of their battle.
This week the guys’ picks heading into the event were…
Zane: Erosa, Eddie: Choi
Both: B. Silva
Zane: Lima, Eddie: Brown
Zane: J. Silva, Eddie: Glenn
Zane: Procopio, Eddie: O’Neill
Overall, this 12-bout card saw three exhilarating first round finishes, five impressive KO/TKO’s – one stoppage, one sweet technical submission, and six decisions, including our Main & Co-Main events – two of those six being Split. Rounding things out, bonuses for putting forth POTN efforts went to Matt Brown & Seungwoo Choi; FOTN honors went to Vera vs. Grant. What a night of fights we have to share with you, join us to discuss all the action…
Here’s a look at the UFC VEGAS 29: ‘KOREAN ZOMBIE VS IGE’ RESULTS & UPDATED FIGHT RECORDS:
ESPN 2/ESPN+ MAIN EVENT | SAT. JUNE 19
12. Chan Sung Jung (17-6) DEF. Dan Ige (15-4) – DEC, Unanimous
11. Sergey Spivak (13-2) DEF. Aleksei Oleinik (59-16) – DEC, Unanimous
10. Marlon Vera (19-7) DEF. Davey Grant (11-5) – DEC, Unanimous
9. SeungWoo Choi (10-3) DEF. Julian Erosa (25-9) – KO/TKO, Left Hook to G&P at 1:37 of Rd 1
8. Bruno Silva (20-6) DEF. Wellington Turman (16-5) – KO/TKO, G&P at 4:45 of Rd 1
7. Matt Brown (23-18) DEF. Dhiego Lima (15-9) – KO/TKO, Right Straight at 3:02 of Rd 2, Total 8:02
6. Nick Negumereanu (10-1) DEF. Aleksa Camur (6-2) – DEC, SPLIT
5. Virna Jandiroba (17-2) DEF. Kanako Murata (12-2) – KO/TKO, Dr Stoppage (Arm/Shoulder Injury) at the end of the second round
4. Khaos Williams (12-2) DEF. Matt Semelsberger (8-3) – DEC, Unanimous
3. Josh Parisian (14-4) DEF. Roque Martinez (15-8) – DEC, SPLIT
2. Ricky Glenn (22-6) DEF. Joaquim Silva (11-3) – KO/TKO, Left Hook to Flurry of Punches at 0:37 of Rd 1
1. Casey O’Neill (7-0) DEF. Lara Procopio (7-2) – SUB, Standing Rear Naked Choke at 2:54 of Rd 3, Total 12:54
Be sure to follow Zane – @TheZaneSimon & Eddie – @TheEddieMercado; and follow @BloodyElbow on twitter as well, for all the latest in MMA happenings. If you enjoy our show, give us a “thumbs up”, share & subscribe here on YT or over on whichever BE Presents Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice.